A cloth face covering may not protect the wearer, but it may keep the wearer from spreading the virus to others.
COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Studies and evidence on infection control report that these droplets usually travel around 6 feet (about two arms lengths).
Wear Cloth Face Coverings
CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations.
- Cloth face coverings may slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.
- Cloth face coverings can be made from household items.
Prevent Spread by Those Without Symptoms
While people who are sick or know that they have COVID-19 should isolate at home, COVID-19 can be spread by people who do not have symptoms and do not know that they are infected. That’s why it’s important for everyone to practice social distancing (staying at least 6 feet away from other people) and wear cloth face coverings in public settings. Cloth face coverings provide an extra layer to help prevent the respiratory droplets from traveling in the air and onto other people.
Who should wear
Who should not wear
· People older than 2 years of age in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain
· Children under age 2
· Anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistanceMore Information
- Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings
- How to Wear Your Cloth Face Covering
- How to Wash Your Cloth Face Covering
- Video: U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Jerome Adams- How to Make Your own Face Covering
- Important Information About Your Cloth Face Coveringspdf iconpdf icon
- ASL Video Series: Easy DIY Cloth Face Covering
- How To Make Your Own Face Covering Video